National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Prayers, prayers, prayers needed, esp for Loni

Loni and I are both in the market for teaching jobs again. But Loni has a new and possibly insurmountable problem - but God can surmount - is that a word? - so we're going to give the impossible to Him. Here's the situation:

A week ago things looked so promising for a job for Loni. She has enjoyed and done very well her first year of teaching. Her principal wanted to hire her back (too far a drive and not the preferred grade level); her principal recommended her to another who likely wanted to hire her; she's run into a certification snag which could have been avoided if she/we had been aware but not it seems too late to rectify in time for the next school year.

She has the 3 year non-renewable temporary certificate. She's only taught one year. Seems like things are okay - two years left. BUT Florida law currently says that she must pass a General Knowledge test within the first year of teaching (the end of that first year being August). AND the only time the test is offered this summer is next week (too late to register and ineligible for emergency late registration) and July 21. Looks good. Surely she can pass in time. BUT the test scores aren't received for more than 4 weeks from the test date which would be too late! Bad, bad news. Bad, bad law and Florida legislators. Sad, sad.

Sooooo her current options appear to be - wait and hope to apply for a job after the school year begins (if any open up and yuck! after the school year begins! I've seen what happens there - if the hiring is a new class created because of increased enrollment, teachers choose which of their students to pass onto the new teacher - and the choices usually aren't their best students, if you catch my drift). OR she could probably get hired to teach at the Bible school's preschool -- for maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of her public school salary. She could get by on that, barely, if she continued to live with us (and I'm not objecting to that except that she's ready to be on her own). She could maybe get hired at a bank or something similar, too. BUT SHE NEEDS TO BE TEACHING. The children need her. So if God agrees and chooses to intervene, let's request His intervention!!

I need a teaching job, too. I am eligible to be hired (I haven't reached that 1-year-deadline yet), but there aren't many spots open. I won't go into why I NEED a job. I do, though, and would much rather work at something that utilizes my training and experiences, pays more than a job at Wallyworld or Mac-in-the-sack, and provides health insurance. So after you've beseeched the Lord on Loni's behalf, put in a good word for me, too, please.

Still on the job front for the Blisses - prayers, too, for Trey to make a wise decision regarding his career choice, including location. Pray especially that his choice will be a wise one for his spiritual well-being.

Thanks for putting in a good word for us. Have a good day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish you didn't have to work, but know you have good reasons. And I know Loni would like to be out on her own, although she enjoys being with you two and doing things together.

Sometimes, however, God sends us on a different path - we all know how that is - so also try to look for any other direction He may be sending you. There are lost souls in all areas of our lives, not just in our chosen paths.

You all are in our prayers daily, and on our minds as we love and care for you.

Love, Mom

jel said...

will be praying for you both that your get the job you want!


blessings Lisa's Mom :)

Anonymous said...

My advice: Apply for anything and everything that is available. You may have to take a grade level you don't want, or a job with duties you don't like, but it gets your foot in the door.

Take your portfolio and resume and go to job fairs. Play up your talents and discuss extra duties you could offer (after school tutoring, reading/ writing or computer clubs, yearbook sponsor, or coaching duties, etc.).

Don't get discouraged! I've seen teachers get hired two weeks before school begins.

(You might also check to see if there is a website through the Florida Dept. of Elem. and Secondary Education that helps schools advertise job openings.)

Jennao said...

We are praying for you!! I know the struggles the two of you have faced in recent years. I have faith that God has the perfect job lined up for you.
Jen O in ND