National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Monday, June 11, 2007

Happy 58th Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Dad and Mom (Lon & Jeanne)! (This is not a great photo because Dad is usually smiling. Don't know why he wasn't smiling on this day last September at Kennedy Space Center, but it is the most recent I have of the two of them. Mom and Dad, be ready to be captured on camera when I see you in July/August.)

I tried (and tried and tried and tried . . . ) to upload a very cute photo from early in their marriage, but Blogger frustrated me AGAIN. Surely am thinking about switching!! Their help is worthless because I'm unable to locate any useful information. Is the learning curve on wordpress more than I can handle? Is it any less frustrating, those of you who have switched?
A summary of their marriage as told from my perspective:
--they met at a wedding on a blind date (he was a farm boy and student at SMU and she a city girl)
--they were married at the Highland Park (Dallas) church building on June 11, 1949
--they moved to NJ briefly early in their marriage
--Dad was a partner in an insurance agency in Dallas and Mom was a stay-at-home mom (and sometimes a volunteer secretary)
--after a brief time away from the church, they worshipped at Saturn Road (in Garland, TX) and Wynnewood Hills in Oak Cliff (Dallas). Dad was a deacon at Wynnewood Hills.
--in 1967 they committed to move to Burlington, MA with an Exodus movement. Don Humphrey, Glen McNeese, and Dennis Kelly were the ministers of that church. They moved without the security of a job beforehand. Dad became an elder and sold insurance for Curtin Insurance (Jane Curtin's father). I think Mom was a volunteer church secretary.
--they sold their home in MA and moved to Lubbock, TX so that Dad could attend SSOP. Mom worked with Marge Smith in Cline Paden's office.
--after graduation from SSOP, they moved to Bridgewater, NJ where Dad was minister for 5 years.
--Dad and Mom served churches in NJ, Sunbury/Selingsgrove, PA (10 yrs) and West Chester, PA (11 yrs?) before he retired and they moved to NJ to live near us (for 3 years)
--they now reside in Charlotte, NC
I know you'll correct my timeline, Mom, and add comments which we look forward to.
I hope you have a very special day and a year full of blessings. It has been a privilege to be your daughter. I couldn't have asked for better parents and a better example of Christian marriage and service.
I love you dearly.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful tribute. Can't think of much to change - 11 years in West Chester, and almost 3 in Tabernacle. Otherwise, all is correct. I have been privileged to be able to volunteer for several local groups, as well as for the church, and have not had to work outside the home because God has blessed us so richly. We have had many other blessings in our time together, and pray that God will continue to use us wherever in whatever way He chooses.

We are thankful for the Blisses and their love for the Lord and dedication to His will, and just pray that Pat and Bob will also enjoy many, many years together in this life. And that Pat, Loni and Trey will find the jobs they are praying for.

Pat's Mom, Jeanne Mohundro

Neva said...

Happy Anniversary! Love endures forever---this is proof.

Peace
Neva

Anonymous said...

You ate the second love of my life, Pat. Thank you for the reminders of beautiful things in our past. God bless you and yours.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Lon and Jeanne, you are special beyond words. Sandie and I miss you very much. Happy anniversary.
Love, Paul

TREY MORGAN said...

Great story. I love love stories...

Blessings

Anonymous said...

correction! Change "ate" to "are"

Anonymous said...

happy anniversary!!!!

from brian nicklaus