National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

How goes the job hunt?

Loni and I have been busy with training. Last week we had ESOL training for 60 hours (yup, 60 hours!). We had class every day from 8-4, Monday through Saturday. The instructor did release us at 3 or a little earlier most days to work with our groups (or separately) on projects. (BTW, ESOL is English Speakers of Other Languages - working with students whose have LEP, limited English proficiency.) We had several projects, one individual and two group. Loni was supposed to begin working at camp on Saturday but had to go late, as in early early Sunday, because of the scheduling. And it turned out that we were released at 11 on Saturday AND that she could have been excused from one day. Oh, well. What can you do?

So Loni is working at Manatawny this week and I - am in a training class again. This one was unplanned. There is a possibility that I might get a job at the Bible School here in Mount Dora teaching middle school social studies. One of my major concerns about teaching middle school is discipline issues, but I found out (Providentially?) that the school was having training in Classroom Management. I called the principal/headmaster and asked if I might attend and he agreed. So more training! And this one I may get paid for! Whoohoo.

Several of our area public schools have had principals move from one to another; one of the favorite things our superintendent likes to do is shake things up by moving principals. When that happens, some teachers like to follow their principal to the new school. One of our nearby schools has a new principal and consequently has more than a dozen teaching jobs posted. I have my application on file with the county. I have emailed him (twice - once in his former school and now since he's moved). My former principal told me she had emailed him about me at the end of the year as well. But I haven't heard from him. I don't know whether to be annoyed or relieved. Should I push the issue by calling him or assume that God is intervening and let it go?

Today I meet with the principal at the Bible school so maybe this is the direction God is leading. I really want(ed) an elementary position. At this point, I'm better "qualified" to teach elementary. But my training (many moons ago) was secondary. So we'll see what transpires, whether he offers me the job and then whether I decide to accept if he does.

Trey is still making plans to move to Philadelphia. He hopes to be there by August. That's nearly next month. Wow!

Loni will decide after she returns from PA/NJ whether to accept a job as a teacher at the preschool (she'd be committing to the full year but at higher salary) or teacher's assistant (no commitment to complete the year but lower salary; then she could accept a teaching job in the public school should one open and she receive an offer). She doesn't know yet what the salary of either position might be.

Decisions, decisions, waiting, waiting, praying, praying, praying.

Gotta go decide what to wear today . . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will keep praying for you because I know you are trying to let the Lord lead you in the right direction. Love, Mom

philaphonic said...

push the issue and call.
people get busy, emails meant to get returned don't. he may just appreciate the determination and ask for an interview or something.
don't take it as a sign of dead end until you're told its a dead end.

sometimes its not the right path, sometimes maybe the path happens to start out difficult and uphill.

3

Anonymous said...

Definitely push the issue. If you can, stop by the principal's office with portfolio, resume, and recommendation letters in hand. Most principals won't respond to email job inquiries. Go in person to speak to him.