National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Saturday, February 03, 2007

It's never too late

I saw a great t-shirt slogan while I was at Curves on Thursday: "It's never too late to have a happy childhood." Love it! To me it says, no matter what your age, enjoy life. I had a great childhood, so I don't want the slogan to imply that I didn't. I just like the encouragement to have fun each day.

What did I like about my childhood? I was a shy child, so I enjoyed reading. Still do. I love the escape reading fiction provides. I love the information I can glean from non-fiction, especially looking up info on the internet. Give me some time free from tasks and you'll find me with my nose in a book! The only downside is that I get so "into" a book that it can affect my mood. If the main character is having a difficult time, say with her guy, it can be hard not to project that mood onto my poor husband!

What else did I like about childhood? I enjoyed playing outdoors when the weather wasn't terribly hot (Texas summers -- prepared me for Florida? I plan to spent lots of time indoors this summer, but I'm sure enjoying the weather right now, um, except for the tornado threats and damage here in Lake County). But I digress. I still enjoy the outdoors. I don't get outdoors as much as I'd actually like. DH doesn't enjoy the outdoors like I do, so I've never cultivated hiking, birding, etc. But invite me to minigolf or play Bocce, I'm there. Anyone for a hike along a Florida boardwalk? Better yet, how 'bout the beach!

Being with friends. I loved being invited to a friend's house to play. I can remember Sunday afternoons at my friend Suzanne's and going next door to Debbie's. We had a great time when we were invited to the Rosenquists', and they didn't even have a TV!! I still like a girls' night out or a game night. Scrapbooking, anyone? Dinner, movie?

Laughing and acting silly. I don't do that nearly enough. That's why I like the t-shirt slogan. It's an invitation to enjoy myself, not to worry too much about what people think, enjoy the company of others and God's creation.

Being cared for and taken care of. When I'm sick, thankfully not too often since my parents live far away, I still want my mommy. But my family and church family care for me and I care for them.

Jesus tells us to become as little children. I think all these things I enjoyed about being a child might apply.

Fun? God must have enjoyed creating creatures like giraffes, chimpanzees, toucans, butterflies, and elephants. Come on, blowing water out of a trunk! How cool is that? Surely He wants us to have fun with His creation and with each other. We had fun bowling with church friends last weekend, even in the dark!

Reading. His Word is one of His greatest gifts, right after the gift of salvation. We have His actual Words as revealed by the Holy Spirit. And each book is wrapped up in the personality of a human being. Isn't it awesome how each time You read it You find new meaning? The Bible doesn't change, but our situations change. Our perceptions and awareness change. Our needs change. And we find answers and wisdom in His Word each and every time. It affects my mood, always for the better, thankfully. And I can travel to other places and times as I read about God's chosen people throughout the ages.

Being taken care of and cared for. No one better to do that than the Lord through His works and through His people.

Yup, it's never too late to have a happy childhood. I'm going to try to make a greater effort to have fun and enjoy life as long as I'm still here on earth. And I'm going to try to be more childlike spiritually as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My first comment didn't go through, but I had to respond to your blog.

We are so thankful you remember a happy childhood. You were, and are, a dear daughter. You commented about your daughter being so wise, but I believe she "caught" it from you. You have a depth of understanding that I still am struggling with.

Go enjoy the day (and avoid the clouds).

Mom