National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Disaster Relief

Often when we hear about a disaster, we wish we could help in some way. And too often all we can do is pray and possibly send money. Today I got to participate in a very small way in disaster relief.

I know everyone heard about the tornadoes here in central Florida. They happened to our northwest and northeast. People who have witnessed it said the areas are just flattened.

Churches of Christ Disaster Relief has brought supplies into our area - one truck today and two more tomorrow. And I was privileged to help offload the supplies in Leesburg, one of the staging areas. Some of the supplies were reloaded into small rental trucks for distribution and some stored at the Leesburg church building. Bob, our associate minister, Eddie, and two others from Mount Dora went with men from two other organizations who have come in with chain saws and other equipment to help with cleanup.

Many Sojourners are staying at the Bible camp and are "off" this week, having worked other weeks at the camp and in preparation for a lectureship type meeting at the camp next week, so they were available to come unload also. There were folks from probably a dozen local congregations who also helped. We assembly-lined the boxes into the other trucks and building.

It was a very small task, but we were all happy to have the opportunity to do what little we could. It's not great to live near a "disaster" site, but it's good to feel a little bit useful.

The general public is still being kept out of the areas; too many gawkers and curiosity seekers as well as folks up to no good, probably. So it's really nice to have these organizations who are allowed in to assist in some way.

The truck had snacks for workers (not us, but folks passing out supplies on site), water, boxes of MRE's enough for a family of 4 for 5 days, baby supplies. Sometimes the trucks also have cleaning kits and supplies for elderly. It's also nice to see that monies sent are really well used. The organization is able to purchase $3 worth of food or other supplies for $1.

If I get pictures (can't believe we forgot the camera), I'll post some. Remember the survivors (not victims, we were reminded, but survivors) in your prayers, and the Christians who minister to them, that God will be glorified and the Kingdom increased through these efforts.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I think that's AWESOME!! When I was at Harding there were a few opportunities to help with people who survived tornadoes. I'm glad for you having that opportunity, even though it means someone is suffering. I wish I could be there to help too. Not many widespread disasters around here ... which I should be grateful for.