National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Amazing tornado photo

This photo has been circulating in the Lake county, Florida schools. I saw it yesterday and asked that it be passed on the me. It is fascinating. It is said to be the tornado that destroyed homes and took lives in The Villages, Lake County, Florida.

HOWEVER, anonymous pointed me to Snopes, and it is revealed that it was taken at Lake Okeechobee, here in Florida in June 1991.

I'll leave the photo here as it IS amazing, even if another terrible storm. Thanks, anonymous, for setting the record straight as best you are able.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/sedalia.asp


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out Snopes. This picture supposedly was taken in Sedalia, MO last year, but actually was of a tornado in Florida several years ago.

Malia said...

I use snopes.com ALL the time! Most of the time it's with those e-mail forwards that we all get from time to time; petitions, free stuff, advice, etc, just about every single one of them has been refuted over at Snopes!

I've even been known to reply back to the sender of the e-mail with the Snopes link regarding that particular subject!