Feel free to share how you met your mate here, or blog it and link it to mine!
I was a student at Lubbock Christian College, sophomore year, spring. My parents had moved to Lubbock the previous summer so that my dad could become a student at Sunset School of Preaching. My mother worked in the school office and handled applications. One caught her attention because his name was the same as someone else my parents had met. She told me about him. (No, Bob, she didn't show me your picture.) Hmm, a preaching student. How to meet him? (The first time I saw him, but didn't meet him on that day, he was nodding off in chapel. A future preacher sleeping in "church"!)
LCC's spring break came the week before Easter. My friends and the guy I was dating (no spark) were all out of town. So I decided that I should visit Sunset to "see what the classes were like there." Sunset students didn't take a break that week. Dad took me to the freshman classroom and introduced me to some of those guys. When Bob walked by the group, I introduced myself. I kept going back all week. It took me a whole week of hanging around to "see what it was like." And somehow I didn't visit my dad's classes, just the class of new freshmen (several were single!).
But no date! Bob had decided to concentrate on studies at SSOP, not on women. He also had a girlfriend (sort of) back home. Even though I hung around all week and his classmates and teachers were teasing him, he didn't ask me out!
On Saturday, I helped arrange for the Sunset guys to play basketball at LCC. I invited Bob and his roommate to dinner afterwards. His roommate declined, but Bob came for the free meal. Still no date, though. On Sunday I decided to visit Sunset for worship (I was a member at Broadway). My brother had wrecked our shared car, so I asked Bob for a ride. Still no invitation for a date. In retrospect I can't believe how bold I was. Monday after Easter - should have returned to school. But LCC had given Monday off for student travel. Guess where I was! Back at Sunset.
Finally! That night Bob called and asked me out. It turned out that he had decided that if his CA girlfriend wrote him that weekend, he would not ask me out. But she didn't. And the rest is history.
Now, there's an interesting detail I like to tease my mother about (she denies this). There was a guy in Dad's class she wanted me to date, but I wasn't interested. At some point (I think after Bob and I started dating), I asked her why she'd picked out Bob since she liked this other guy for me. She told me she thought Bob was "one we could agree on." We still agree on him. Dad does, too.
A funny part of our early dating happened that week before our first official date: on a weeknight, Dad invited Bob to our house for a basketball game on TV (thanks Dad!). Bob's roommate had borrowed his car for a date, so I took Bob home afterwards. We sat in the car in front of the neighbor's house for a LONG time, talking and getting acquainted. Finally, it was very late and I knew I needed to be home, so I asked Bob to say a prayer. We were holding hands, heads bowed, eyes closed (really!) and Bob was praying when there was suddenly a pounding on the car window! It was my dad! Lubbock wasn't necessarily a safe place for a woman alone at night, so he had come looking for me. He had called Bob's house, but since we were parked in front of the neighbor's, Bob's roommate hadn't seen us. Bob says he was pretty embarrassed when he saw Dad at school the next morning!
So there you have it, the TRUE and somewhat boring story of how Bob and Pat met and became a couple. Thirty-two years, three kids and three grandkids, from TX to CA to NJ to FL later, we still are. Nathan is the only one in this picture who has changed. He was about two here; he turns six this week!
Thanks Mom!!
6 comments:
How sweet! I guess Bob was playing hard to get :)
John and I met through a mutual friend. She kept describing him to me but I was too busy to date. I told that if he was all that great why she didn't like him? :) So we all met one night (Friday the 13th no less) and the rest is history.
Pat -
Thanks for your comment this afternoon over at Finding Direction. I just commented in response to yours and also added some scripture and some other thoughts.
Where did you grow up? I can't believe we have so much in common. I grew up in Abernathy, just north of Lubbock and you aren't going to believe this, but my dad was an elder in Abernathy and one of the founders of Sunset School of Preaching back in the early 60s!! The elders in Abernathy first started it there with young Hispanic students from New Mexico who came down to study there in Abernathy.
Then Cline Paden, who was preaching near by, became interested and they all three went down to talk with the elders at Sunset about supporting the work and taking oversight of it because Lubbock was much bigger and they had a lot more resources. So they did it!!
My brother went to LCC and my daughter and her husband met there, too. I was living in Mississippi at the time, as now, but sent her out there to go to school because her life was very troubled at that time and it was a Godsend.
I could go on and on, but won't, but hope you'll keep visiting (and start commenting all the time!) at Finding Direction.
As for how Tom and I met - I went to work as Community Editor at the newspaper here in Picayune when Tom was the Advertising Director. Neither one of us cared much for the other in the beginning and there was no lightbulb or anything.
We DID become friends because we were both married with families and had kids the exact same ages.
It wasn't until much, much later that we got together. Our 16th wedding anniversary is coming up and we'd known each other for 12 years when we married, so we've now known each other some 28 years.
He is definitely a gift from God to me because he's expressed agape love to me more than any other person I have ever known. I thank God every second of every minute of every day for him because he's been the most wonderful blessing in my life!
Cheers & Blessings to you today! Dee
thanks for sharing your story and the link to mine.
Of course, future preachers sleep in church, we are smart, that's why we decide to preach. It is hard to fall asleep when you are the only one talking and all eyes are on you.
ah yes, the old praying while holding hands trick. That is much more common than "let's pretend we are dating" scam
:)
I've always loved that story -- all three versions of it!! I'm grateful that you were so "bold," and got Dad to notice you. :) I love you!
I don't remember suggesting someone else for you, Pat. Bob was always my choice.
Your dad and I met on a blind date and went to a wedding of people we did not know. The couple who introducted us were the best man and maid of honor in the (very small)wedding. We went to dinner with the four of them. when Lon took me home, we found out I lived next door to a lady he took to work every day. I keep saying that God intended us to be together, but we had to let Him work it out. ;-) Mom
I loved this story. Thanks for the invite to share others. When my first husband was alive, we lived across the street from this single Sunset student. Both of us really liked him and tried to set him up with women we liked. He kept saying he wasn't interested in marriage and wasn't going to date just for the sake of dating. He graduated and moved to Tennesee. Several years later my husband died, several years after that, this single man came back to visit one of his former classmates. We ran into each other at church and five months later we were married. Now eight years later, I am as thankful to God and still as surprised at being so blessed as I was the day we "found" each other.
Our God is so good!!!
Peace, Neva
Post a Comment