As I thought about my previous blog, I remembered the red-hat ladies. Groups of them were at the Mount Dora Craft Show. I think it would be fun to be part of a group at such an event and able to recognize others of the larger group who have a kinship even without knowing someone wearing similar garb. You'd glance up, see her/his clothing, give a friendly smile of "sister- brotherhood" and maybe even start a conversation based on commonality.
We have occasions of meeting with unfamiliar brethren of like faith from time to time. It was a joy for us to participate in the Spiritual Growth Workshop in Orlando soon after we arrived in Florida. The majority of the people in the Rosen Hotel seemed to Christians, carrying Bibles and wearing identifying nametags. How encouraging to be with thousands of Christians together in one place, to meet brothers and sisters I had not previously known, and to praise God together in the sessions. (I wondered if and hoped that our group presented themselves well to the hotel, exercising patience in the restaurants, etc.)
Folks in the Mount Dora church have shirts embroidered with a logo to wear at events where you'd want visitors or other folk to recognize that you are associated with the church and are there to give assistance or meet a need. We were given shirts to wear at the church's "Back to School Bash" in August so that children and parents from the neighborhood would recognize us as hosts. Bob and I wore ours to the Mount Dora Bible School chicken dinner Friday night to identify ourselves as the newbies at the MC church. I was sorry we didn't think to wear them to the "Church of Christ Night" at the Orlando Magic pre-season game recently.
There's a song on Christian radio currently by Steven Curtis Chapman called "The Change" that addresses the difference between having and using all the Christian paraphernalia, which the singer says is "all well and good," and "the change. . . the difference. . . the grace. . . forgiveness. . . a life that's showing I'm undergoing the change." He says, "I want to live a life that's showing I'm undergoing the change." The paraphernalia may have a good purpose, if only to remind us of who we are and Whose we are as we go about our normal routines. I liked wearing my WWJD bracelet to remind myself to act like the Christian that I am.
Wouldn't it be interesting, on several levels, if we wore identifying clothing or marks as Christians? In Bible story visuals, Jesus is always the man wearing white with a blue sash. Would the world recognize me as belonging to Him if I wore white with a blue sash? How about a fish tattoo or earrings? In Exodus 21, a slave who chose to stay a slave to his master had his ear pierced at the door or doorpost. What kind of sign could a Christian wear? I know I'd better be extra careful in my driving manners if my van is sporting some sort of identifying bumper sticker!
I know our lives should demonstrate that we are children of God and that the Holy Spirit dwells in us, but what in my daily life sets me apart from other people who act in "good" ways? I hope people who interact with me frequently know by my life and speech that I'm a Christian, but what about strangers? How can I make a difference in one small interaction that proclaims Christ? If I take an action that assists a stranger and he/she thanks me, why don't I remember to graciously remark, "I did it because of what Christ has done for me?"
I'm often tongue-tied in conversations with those I don't know well. But I want to verbalize my faith as well as demonstrate it. Since I can't wear a halo or have the Holy Spirit flash a neon sign near me as I go through my day, I'll just continue to pray for growth, awareness, greater spiritual maturity, and for the Holy Spirit to remind and encourage me to be more proactive in my daily interactions and speech (and maybe a mental image of myself in a red hat or blue sash).
National Geographic's Photo of the Day
Sunday, October 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What great thoughts. The same things have been on my mind a lot lately too. I want to remember to help Christ make a difference in people's lives, even if I am only in contact with them for a short time. I have thought about rehearsing a short statement like that ("I do this because of what Christ has done for me"). I suppose it takes a lot of practice, but I think it's a good idea. Maybe we could "practice" together. :) Great post, Mom. Dad Leichner said the same, but he doesn't leave comments. Love you!
Post a Comment