National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Life in Mount Dora

Currently the weather in Florida is great! Windows wide open, breezy, cool at night. It rained last night, but it was perfect for Mount Dora's Craft Festival today. The main streets in downtown Mount Dora are closed to vehicle traffic. Craft booths lined the streets for - how do you count square blocks? - 5 blocks long, three blocks across. Food vendors (we had funnel cake and Loni bought a turkey leg, among other things), all sorts of crafts from pottery, jewelry, paintings and photographs to wood crafts, florals, and the cutest lawn ornaments made of PVC pipe type material. We arrived about 9:30 - crowds not too bad. We left about 1 and crowds were shoulder-to-shoulder, literally. If the person/group in front of you stopped, you weren't moving. Add strollers, wheel-chairs and groups of red-hat ladies (you can't miss their attire or enthusiasm) to the mix and enjoy the slow pace. Shops were open, too; Loni and I each bought another pair of Crocs (have to have a dark color for fall/winter, of course!) and touristy Mount Dora shirts for the boys. Dan, wait til you see what we got you! Lisa, you'll like yours, too. Lots of people opened their yards, if they had room for any cars, and let you pay them for the privilege of parking in their yard. We parked at the Bible school (donation) and rode the shuttle/school bus downtown. I bought some awkward-shaped items and then had to try to avoid impailing anyone! The popular item seemed to be pussy-willow branches - go figure.

Tonight, Bob and I "crashed the party" and joined the senior saints (the group needs a name, like PrimeTimers or something. I'll have to campaign for that) for a drive to another county (Webster, in Sumter County), way out in the middle of nowhere, to the "Speckled Butterbean." No lie! Cute little place. We had a good time, but I felt a little guilty that our large group was taking so much space and crowding the locals. Nice buffet with salad and dessert bars, ribs, pulled pork, fried chicken, boiled okra, several types of beans, a squash casserole, peach cobbler, more. I didn't want to be tempted to over-do so opted for a plate: rib-eye steak and baked potato. Bob had prime rib. On the bus on the way home we sang spontaneous hymns and oldies like "Oh, ____, do you love Jesus" (remember that one?), "Bicycle Built for Two" and silliness like "Found a peanut."

Change the clocks tonight - hurrah! An extra hour of sleep, if I head there now . . . .Sleep well.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What, you're not going to tell me what you got? Okay, I can wait a couple weeks. Glad you have been having good weather & lots of fun. Today we went on a field trip with Nathan to a pumpkin patch. I thought it was going to be cold, so we were all bundled up in sweaters, long sleeve shirts underneath. I packed our coats & hats & gloves. Then it turns out to be in the 60s & we all quickly lost our sweaters & enjoyed the beautiful weather. Maybe a few too many bees for my taste, but no one in our class got stung. Phew! I don't know why I told you all that when I'm planning on posting it in my blog, but oh well. Off to rake the yard! Love you!