. . . sub as in guest teacher, that is, not sub-human, although I feel like it sometimes.
Today was one of those days. One good thing (think positively, Pat, not negatively!) was that I don't have to return to their classroom tomorrow. Oops, that's not really a "whatever is lovely, etc." perspective, is it?
It started out so well. I was returning to a classroom with children I'd subbed with on a previous occasion, for two days, and had pretty good days. The first child into the room, a boy, said, "Mrs. Bliss!" and threw his arms around me for a hug, and then repeated the hug. Gonna be a great day, I thought.
Same child (related to Jekyl/Hyde?) got cross-ways with another student mid-morning and threw a temper tantrum, kicking his backpack and pushing his books off his desk across the aisle. Whoa! Without going into details, his actions and comments of other students (Mrs. X lets him do that) made me tread lightly, trying not to further exacerbate his anger. I try to do everything possible myself to avoid having to send a student to the office. In 13+ years, I've only sent 2 or 3. So I tried to ignore his attitude and continue instruction. (If looks could kill, I might not be blogging this.)
At lunchtime I passed through the teacher's lounge; Mrs. X told me that the other grade level teachers had been complimenting me from my previous visit to her class. (We'd gone on a field trip and they'd observed me with the students.) She told the others, "She wants to be a teacher," and another kindly commented that I was SO ready. Huh! I returned to the classroom for my lunchbox and then went back to the lounge to get the Mrs. X's advice concerning Jekyl/Hyde. "Oh, is he misbehaving for you? He hasn't done that for a while. I'm so sorry. Use such-and-such form from my desk and send him to the office if you need to." Ok, I felt better prepared. If I needed to, I would send him this afternoon and not feel like a failure.
After lunch, the assistant principal stopped in and asked how things are going. Okay, I said, except for J/H. "Send him to the office if you need to." But J/H's behavior had improved (probably because he saw my quiet conversation with Mr. AP?). Then Mrs. X popped in and called him out of the room. Good, she'll have a chat with him. But he didn't return for most of the afternoon. Hmm. Then, when he returned, he tells other students, with a big smile on his face, that he was playing a writing game on the computer next door! What!? He got rewarded??!!
Now, I want you to know that the rest of the class was mostly cooperative and sweet, if too chatty during transitions. Even J/H had his sweet side. Perhaps Mrs. X does everything she can to keep Jekyl in the classroom and Hyde out, even if it means jollying him along and bribing (er, persuading) him with special treatment. And I know there's more to this situation than what I see on the surface and I'm not privy to it, so I'll try to reserve judgment and be better prepared next time I go into this classroom.
I am grateful for all the lessons I've learned about classroom management from the various experiences, difficult and delightful, that I have had. I honestly think I'll be better prepared as a classroom teacher should God and the school district give me the opportunity.
I just thought I'd share "a day in the life." (Mothers, remind your children to be kind to guest teachers, please? Maybe they'll listen.)
National Geographic's Photo of the Day
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment