National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

31 years

Yesterday Bob and I celebrated (quietly) our 31st anniversary. We did our "usual" = splitting a dinner at Outback: appetizer (coconut shrimp), steak (with sweet potato for Bob, regular for me), and dessert: Chocolate Thunder Down Under. I'm grateful that both sets of parents gave us good examples in marital commitment. Both have passed the 50 years mark!

We also had a good rain (at least 2 inches - the gauge filled up) so that was another thing to celebrate (sorry folks in TX and OK - we need the rain here).

I was also hoping we'd be celebrating a job offer for me, but alas, not yet anyway. I thought the principal with whom I'd been discussing the middle school job would hire me without a temporary certificate, knowing that I was working on it, but no, I must take and pass a test FIRST. Somehow our communication wasn't clear, his expectations and mine. Would the job even be available still after I studied and took the test? I need to go back to him for some reassurance about that before I spend the money and significant time preparing for and taking this test.

So how do YOU determine when God is telling you, "Try harder. Keep going. How hard are you willing to work to obtain this goal?" OR "This is another roadblock. I'm trying to tell you to go another direction." ??

I'm grateful God is delighted to use us no matter where we land, in spite of our choices, if we are seeking to serve Him. I'd love to hear how you think God has led you and your experiences with trying to determine His will in specific areas.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great day!! Sorry I didn't call. I'm a lousy daughter. Love you!

philaphonic said...

sorry I forgot to call.
congrats to you guys. I'll call tomorrow.

tricky question...my only answer is one that just presented me and whenever the other side says enough, or when you really have no option. I don't know. I guess it depends on how much its worth to you. is it worth the work, the effort?

love ya

Paula Harrington said...

Congrats on 31 years! A friend told me once on his 20th anniversary that it had been the best 18 years of his life. He's a preacher so also a smart alec :)

I'm with you on trying to figure out what God wants us to do on some things. When you find out let me know, too :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Pat -

Joining the conversation a bit late here, but I've finally gotten the chance to browse through blogs for the first time in a long time.

As far as knowing what God wants me to do and how far to go in seeking His will - I'm not sure I have any clear answers. My answers would be murky to say the least because I've had very mixed results in all areas of life in things and never really KNOW until far afterward, sometimes, what I think God's will was for my life at any certain point.

Having said that, I have great faith in God that He will work all things together for good in my life, as He promises through Romans 8:28, my long time favorite passage among many. That's because at this stage of life I feel greatly as if I'm looking back on a life that has passed somewhat instantaneously but which has brought me to a place of goodness and love in my life.

My health is not perfect, nor is anything in my life, but things are good, I have a husband who has loved me dearly for many, many years, even way before we were married, and I have three faithful and loving children and their families. I am a blessed woman.

The rest is all extraneous, believe me. Jobs come and go and pass by the way, but our service to God is completed by our love in and for each other.

So, strive and try as hard as you can to follow God's will in your life, I would say, and give it all the effort you have within you and then wait upon the Lord.

Cheers & blessings to you today! Dee

TREY MORGAN said...

I'm glad I'm not the only "Trey" in this world that forgets to call and tell his parents happy anniversary.

Blessings