National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Saturday, July 21, 2007

One down, two to go (and Harry on hold)

Well, Loni and I took the General Knowledge test today. It was harder than I anticipated. I have spent so much time preparing for the other two tests still to come that I just breezed through the materials I ordered to help me study today's. The practice tests in the book were much easier than the actual thing. Oh, well. I'm hopeful that I passed all four parts, but each part individually can be retaken. I'm sure Loni passed, so she'll soon be eligible to be hired.

On Tueday I am taking two more tests, and I've been studying like crazy for them. Well, "studying" is not exactly accurate. All I've had time for is to read and hope that the gaps in my memory are refreshed. I signed up to take TWO tests because if I pass at least one of these two, I will have a job teaching sixth and seventh graders at the Christian Home and Bible School here in Mount Dora. No, middle school is NOT what I've been working toward, but it seems to be the area God is leading as it is currently the only door open, the only one even partially open since we've moved to Florida.

The tests? Social studies grades 6 - 12 and Middle Grades Integrated Studies (English, math, social studies, AND science for teaching middle grades). Even though my degree from LCU is secondary education (and I've been working hard to qualify to teach elementary!), my teaching fields are English and history. And even though one of the minors is history, I didn't have any Economics or (ahem!) geography (which is what I'll be teaching, Lord willing), so I have to pass one of these tests the receive this subject coverage on my FL teaching certificate.

So, since July 6th, I've read the second half of Loni's old HS US history text book (somehow, we never got to WWI or WWII in my courses and yes, they were history even when I was growing up!). I've read the geography sections covering Asia and Africa, regions with which I have less familiarity than others. I've read pertinent sections in a middle school science text (I gave up, though, trying to comprehend and remember plant and animal reproductive systems) and reviewed the math concepts to be covered. I've researched, copied, pasted and printed probably 300 pages or more from the internet and read and underlined these. I've read a CliffsNotes book about Economics (and understood very little!). I'm now halfway through skimming and notetaking a World History text (I've handwritten about 30 pages of notes). Since VBS starts tomorrow, about all I have time left to do before Tuesday is skim my highlighted pages and texts Monday for a quick review.

Harry Potter, you arrived today, but you'll just have to wait until Tuesday afternoon!!!

Pray for me, please. The old brain cells seem stuck in slow gear sometimes. And pray for our VBS.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just stay calm. I know you will make it - hopefully through all of the tests - but at least enough for the job. Wonder why you didn't have any WWI or WWII in your studies? I remember you asking when you would study Massachusetts history, since you had studied Texas history there, and was told MA history was American history. Am I correct in that memory? Maybe you didn't elect to take a lot of history courses in MA or at LCC/LCU. Will be prayfor for VBS and reaching many kids. Love, Mom