National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Florida Trade-Offs 2

I'm not sure there's any down side to tonight's trade-off. Wiener and marshmallow roast, sunset bonfire, and softball and kickball games in t-shirts in November!

Today was Friends and Family Day at the Mount Dora church - after morning services we traveled (a whole 15 minute drive!) to Central Florida Bible Camp for a potluck (I estimate that there were about 130 there for lunch), afternoon games indoors and out, a devotional service (indoors), a bonfire/wiener roast and smores, and a hayride. The last part of the event was at the fire circle by the lake just after sunset. Sandhill cranes and a heron (I think) were on the lake. Horses grazed in the field by the home on the hill overlooking the lake. The camp is nestled under long leaf pines and pin oaks. It was a lovely day.

On an interesting side-note concerning our new location and our first Halloween here: our previous homes have been "parsonages" beside or near the church building, not in neighborhoods. This is the first time we've lived in a neighborhood (and it's a very nice one, too). We had been warned about Halloween - no, not pranks, but the crowds. We currently live in a neighborhood desirable to trick-or-treaters. People bring carloads of children from other areas to visit. I think, based on how much candy I bought vs. left over that we had about 150-200 kids. Whew! It was hard to even take bites of dinner between doorbell rings. A couple of the kids recognized me as a substitute teacher they had had. That was fun. (No, they weren't from the neighborhood here . . . .)

Dinner interrupted by doorbell reminds me of another Halloween treat we received: long-time friends, Bill and Margaret Stockman, whom we haven't seen in over ten years, stopped by for a visit on their way from their Kentucky home to their winter digs in Ft. Lauderdale. I managed not to poison Margaret (she has life-threatening allergies to additives like MSG which are hidden in many foods) so it looks like they'll return when they pass through again in the spring. We look forward to that.

That's another unexpected plus to living here: in the 3 1/2 months we've been here, we've had three families/couples visit us from our previous congregations. Fun! Our door is open. Come on by.

Call or email us to book your stay in our guestroom, and have a great week.

3 comments:

philaphonic said...

is that my room you are giving away? jk but I would like to book it for the week of thanksgiving. looking forward to it.

Lisa said...

Are you trying to make me feel WORSE about being in this COLD weather?! OH, I'm so JEALOUS!!

It appears that Trey & I are on your blog at the same time! My comment didn't go through the first time, but his showed up!

I'm glad for you too, that your church family is so wonderful. That old friends are stopping by to see you. That you didn't kill Mrs. Stockman. I wish I had known you were going to see them. I want to let her know that she has been the most influential Bible school teacher I've ever had, maybe tied with you. :) Tell them I said hi!!

What were some of the best halloween costumes you saw?

Pat said...

Third - the room is your's for Turkey week, already reserved G&N will sleep in our bed. It's also reserved for you for 3 weeks at Christmas. Should I put you down for Spring Break and after mid-May? Need any job interviews lined up for December/January? Orlando - theme parks, beaches, endless sunshine and businesses. I bet the theme parks hire business grads.