Last Friday was the Fourth. It was pretty laid-back in our household. In our two previous homes (Randolph and Tabernacle, NJ), we lived on the parade route. In Randolph on the Fourth the hometown parade marched right past our home. In Tabernacle, the parade was on Memorial Day. I miss that, but I love the patriotism. We missed the parade here in Mount Dora, not knowing when it occurred. (MD has TWO parades, Christmas and Independence Day - the weather is much nicer in December!)
At about 5 we parked downtown and listened to friends from church who perform around the area. They were at the park. I'm attaching a picture because I love the Florida cracker-style building that is central to the park.
******************************************************************************
This week Bob and I are helping out at Central Florida Bible Camp. We're working in the kitchen, and Bob is also teaching a Bible class. It's interesting to compare Christian camps. I have a 40 year history (!) with Christian camping, beginning with Maine's Camp Ganderbrook in the 1960's and 70's. Then Bob and I worked many years at Pennsylvania's Camp Manatawny where our children were campers.
Today I met Lee Cain, whose family and ours knew each other in Massachusetts. Lee remembers my brother Jim as one of his Ganderbrook counselors. I love the small world of the Lord's church!!
Bob spoke tonight at the evening devotional. He mentioned our history with Manatawny, and yes, three campers here at CFBC have also been campers at Manatawny. One of them reminded us that Bill, the eldest son of the Garrett family who helped establish Manatawny, helped establish CFBC.
*********************************************************************
Working in the kitchen this week - time to go put my feet up. Night.
4 comments:
You didn't mention the camp you worked with "on your honeymoon" in CA. I think that would have been the most interesting to hear about. ;-o
Mom
Both my parents reminded me of the camp Bob and I worked in California the summer we were married. I guess I "forgot" it because it wasn't an established camp location and it was only one week, rather than a multi-year involvement. My mom reminded me, though, of an interesting thing: although we were less than one month married, we were counselors in separate cabins AND were compelled by the director to observe the no PDA rule. That seems so silly to me, then and now. The director could have so easily stated to complaining teens that we were an example of PDA in the proper context, rather than chastising us for our natural newlywed affections. Then we were "allowed" to exchange a very modest kiss in front of the entire camp on our one month anniversary. Ah, well - many, many moons ago!!
Manatawny misses you! I also love the small world in the circle of God's family. My dad was in the Air Force and we always run across someone somewhere with a connection.
Post a Comment