Well, my first year has come to an end in several satisfactory ways. I've earned my professional license by passing my final test; my contract has been renewed; almost all my students passed on to the next grade; my schedule of classes is full (three 7th grade World Geography and - moving up! - three 8th grade Florida/US history classes - and that's as far "up" as I want to go!); new classroom in with the other middle school classes rather than in the "boonies;" and graduation.
Graduation was last night. We attended last year, and it was very nice. This year was more significant for me since I was among the robed and hooded faculty seated up front. In a few years, when my first students are among the graduates, it will be even more special. It was a lovely culmination of the year.
Today is the last day of post-planning. While I'm looking forward to all the summer rest and catching up on chores and projects, I'll miss the daily routine, students, and co-workers. I'll especially miss my lunches with my special co-workers. We probably won't share lunch next year. We'll have different levels of classes. My lunches have been so beautiful: a brief, relaxing respite in the middle of the day, outside in the quiet courtyard near a fountain (all year long in the lovely, mild Florida winter and even in these hotter, summer days recently arrived). These dear ladies have been my true mentors, not the ones assigned to me, but the ones who have nurtured and guided me through my first tentative year. I'd love them if that was the extent of our relationship, but factor in the bond of Christian sisterhood, and the blessing is multiplied. I'll miss them this summer.
But I'm looking forward to catching up with my blogging and email friends! Talk with you soon.
National Geographic's Photo of the Day
Friday, June 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hope graduation went well. So happy your transition to Florida has been mostly good. Next year you will have to opportunity to learn more about Florida in that history class. And you will still be among Christians so your goals will be the same, even though you won't have the daily contact with those you have grown to admire and appreicate. See you next month. Love, Mom
What a blessing to have co-workers who are sisters in Christ. Way to go on your first year! Each year will become easier and easier for you.
Post a Comment