National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Monday, December 11, 2006

Who Knew?

Snow in Florida - Who knew . . . that there would be snow in Mount Dora, Florida? Yes, there is snow in Mount Dora, Florida - trucked in from elsewhere, I've been told. On Saturday, area children had the opportunity to sled and slide on snow in Donnelly Park, the center of Mount Dora. And when Loni and I were at Curves this afternoon (Monday), looking out the window toward the park, children were still digging and making snowballs from the remnants, which is totally amazing considering that it was in the high 70s here today! (These are pictures of the park, but not of the snow. Floridians really decorate for Christmas, but hey, it's warm out. Perfect weather for spending hours decorating outside, and you need all these lights and decorations to enhance the holiday mood. I just wish I had a photo of that roof with those flamingos pulling the sleigh!)

Yes, today I had the windows open in the house and the car windows down, even this evening, and it was great! This is my kind of weather! Yeah! Oh . . . um . . . sorry to those of you in colder climes, um, you can boast next summer about your perfect weather while I'm sweltering in 90s and 90% humidity, okay? Just let me revel in this while I can, please? This is my trade-off for the four seasons and missing leaves and snow (from inside the warm house) and spring and reasonable summers. So, I'm going to enjoy it while it's here! Who knew?

Garbage Disposers - Who knew . . .that pasta is bad, bad, bad for garbage disposers? Who knew . . .that unclogging the sink clogged by pasta could be such an ordeal? Who knew . . . that fruit pits and grapefruit rinds are good for garbage disposers? Who knew . . . that you should run the (cold!) water for a minute after all the food was disposed of? Who knew . . . I could reach middle age (ahem) and not know how to operate a garbage disposer? Our landlords warned us when we moved in not to put grease in it, but that was a far as the instruction went. I told them that we had never used one! My mother told me that grapefruit finds were good for it. I knew to use cold water. But my knowledge and instruction were lacking!! Cleaning out the fridge last night, at bedtime, I thought, "Pasta is nice and soft, perfect through the disposer." NOT! First went the pasta, no problemo. Followed by the sauce, problemo!! Sinkful of tomato sauce/water - yuck! And who knew . . . that my husband could get it unclogged this morning and still leave for work before 8am?! What a guy! (Okay, okay, so he, the cabinet floor, and the kitchen rug got sprayed with chopped up pasta, and I got to clean the cabinet liner and replace the undersink contents and wash the rug and mop the floor before I went food shopping. However, the pipes and sink were clear, the kitchen cleaner than before the incident, and I learned some valuable lessons!) Who knew?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Pasta's really not good for the disposal? I didn't know that. This is my first time with one too. So thanks for the helpful tip! We eat lots of pasta, so it's definitely something I need to know!

Warm weather in December...trucking in snow for those poor Florida children who never see any...flamingos pulling a sleigh...NO COMMENT!!

Anonymous said...

I learned the hard way about pasta too. :)

I may need to get some snow brought into New York! They had snow in Texas and we still haven't had any up here.