National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Spring Break campaign - Heritage University

BTW - thanks Brian and Lisa for reading my blog and posting a comment! I appreciate the encouragement and support. Those of you who are preachers, be strong and courageous (and the rest of us, too!). And give your wives my love and appreciation, preacher's wife to preacher's wife!

Friday afternoon I had to stay very late after school to do lesson plans and help my co-teacher prepare for several meetings she was having during the weekend. But it turned out to be a blessing because we were all caught up and I had very little school stuff to do this weekend.

We're having a campaign this week. The group is from Heritage University with some others from supporting congregations in AL and MS. The campaigner assigned to stay with us didn't come after all so we don't have any campaign guests. Sad, but a relief, too, with all that is overwhelming me at present. There was a workday at the building Saturday, but I stayed home to clean house and do some grocery shopping and tried not to feel guilty that I wasn't at the work day. (You know, part of my guilty feeling was probably remembering all the years of mentally criticizing people who didn't come to church activities like work days. It has been a real eye-opener to me to work full-time for the first time ever! It's so hard to have to miss all the things I'm used to being involved in.) Anyway, Bob and I actually had a quiet dinner out Saturday night together, just the two of us, and a quiet evening at home to rest in preparation for the Lord's Day and the week.

So Bro. Stephen Guy preached this AM on Revival and several (7) of us responded asking for prayers to be more dedicated (me wanting to be more aware of opportunities to share the gospel). After the potluck (the biggest we've had since our arrival), a bunch of us went out door-knocking. I tend to feel that d/k is ineffective in this day and time, but some of the pairs/groups had some "success" - eight Bible studies set up already. It was a good experience for me to stretch myself out of my comfort zone. I was encouraged to see who and how many showed up from the church here to go out into the neighborhood. Many others are contributing by serving food to the campaigners and house them, etc. I'm glad I got to go today at least since I am not in a position to take a day off for more.

We sang at the nursing home and campaigners joined us - 40 rather than the usual 18-20 or so. All those extra male voices - terrific!

The theme for the week is "Light the Fire," a song I love and which is not that familiar to the church in general, although the youth and Bible school folk know it. It's such a good "revival" song. Please pray for the Mount Dora church and the campaign that we can connect with seeking folk in this area.

Signing off.

Have a great week.

4 comments:

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Years ago I went traveling around the country - once in the fall and once in the spring ... with IBC (i.e. Heritage).

I pray all is well for you and God will bless you with a rich harvest for the kingdom.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
http://stoned-campbelldisciple.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds great so far!! I am so jealous! I'd like to have a campaign & really get our congregation involved. We had a campaign from FHU last year, and there wasn't a whole lot of involvement with the congregation -- then again, we didn't have all that much notice. And also, like you said, it's hard for the working folk to be that involved. It would be harder for me this year than last. Anyway, hope everything goes well. Lots of love to you, Mom!

Anonymous said...

Your father developed a Power Point presentation based on Steven Guy's book entitled "Revival," and it was well received at West Chester. We have been with Steven and Cindy at F-HU the last two summers and he may remember your dad. He was scheduled to speak at the SE PA lectures one year and had to change his plans because of a funeral at his congregation.

We are praying for many Bible studies and much good for the Lord's kingdom.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Your father developed a Power Point presentation based on Steven Guy's book entitled "Revival," and it was well received at West Chester. We have been with Steven and Cindy at F-HU the last two summers and he may remember your dad. He was scheduled to speak at the SE PA lectures one year and had to change his plans because of a funeral at his congregation.

We are praying for many Bible studies and much good for the Lord's kingdom.

Mom