National Geographic's Photo of the Day

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Christ didn't come to a democracy

I somehow missed the news about revolution in Tunisia. When I heard about Egypt's political turmoil, my internet search led to this article in boston.com. As a geography and history teacher, I was intrigued by the idea that perhaps we have no business pushing secular democracy on other societies.

Here are some questions that I have: What has secular democracy (as opposed to the Christian-based democracy of our founding) done to our country in recent decades? Our country's revolution was based on political self-determination. Do other countries have the same right to decide for themselves what kind of government works for them? More importantly, are people more receptive to the gospel in a repressive "democracy" than a theocracy or monarchy? How often does our political ideology interfere with our effort to share Christ?

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/01/30/the_wrong_friends/

No comments: